Live to Play, Play to Live

HomeSong ListAbout UsWeekly ScheduleMonthly SchedulePicturesSpecial EventsTim's PageGeoff's PageDoubleShots Full BandsVideo's



Geoff and I at a friend's Kahlua Party 1994

genesis of The DoubleShots:

In 1989 me and a buddy, Steve Clendenin, started a band. We both played guitar and sang but we wanted another singer so we asked my sister Jenny and she said yes. Our first ever gig was a party down the street. We met a drummer there named Kris Cunningham and he played with us that day and it sounded great. He became our Dummer/percussionist. We started playing on the street in Old Town Pasadena and it was really cool! They were revitalizing Old Town at the time and lots of people would be walking around so we always had a pretty good audience. People were blown away because there we were singing three part harmony and playing a very wide range of songs. Kris made this funky mini drum kit out of old drum parts and he would stand and play it. Seeing and watching him play it was half the attraction of what we did. Soon we had a regular Thursday gig at a place called The Rialto Cafe in South Pasadena. Once we started playing there Kris's Bass player buddy Tommy Harris started jamming with us and we finally had a full band. The band was very acoustic guitar based although we did start incorporating Electric Guitars into the mix. The Bands name was "The Time Being". The reason for that was we couldn't thing of a name and Kris said "let's call it The Time Being,for the time being until we find a name", and so we did and we never found another name.

During this time Geoff was playing in a local Pasadena band called Mercy and the Merkettes. It was a very popular R&B band with three girl singers who had choreographed dance moves for all the songs, a great songlist and always kick ass musicians backing them up. I had seen Geoff play with them a few times and he was very good even then in his early twenties.

The Rialto Cafe closed and so we started playing at a cofee house in So. Pas. called Buster's on Thursday nights. By this time we had a bass player named Gerry Easley. He knew Geoff and told him about us. One night Geoff came in and we asked him to sit in for a few songs. It sounded so good that he played with us for the rest of the night. At this time my sister was thinking about quitting the band because she was too busy and as it turned out Geoff was no longer playing with Mercy so he joined our band and the new Time Being was formed. After this we started playing in alot of clubs and had a good run for a couple of years. Around 1994 I got busy with a recording project that took a lot of my time and I started missing some gigs and finally decided it was time for me to leave the band. That was tough but occasionally I would sit in with them at a gig now and then.

In late 1994 I started another band called The Painkillers
with a guitar player named Joe Calderon, Gerry Easley on bass and a drummer named Walt Woodward. It was a really "in your face" rock and roll band. Gerry didn't stay as bass player for long and so we got another great bass player named Jeff Ingwalson. When he and Walt played together for the first time I knew this band was going to really be good and we were going to have a lot of fun. Occasionally Joe could not play a gig so I would ask Geoff to play in his place and that was always fun. Joe finally left the Painkillers because he was getting a lot of Salsa gigs where he got paid well. That's when his friend Dave Osti started playing guitar with us. Another unbelievable talent,(I've been so lucky to play with such great players). He played with us for about a year. Mike Leasure came in on drums 'cause Walt moved back to New Jersey. After that year Dave got so busy he couldn't play with us any more and Mike was busy too...enter Tim Tutweiler on guitar and Peter Burke on drums. We renamed the new band "THE USUAL GANG OF IDIOTS". Well, Peter came up with the name and it fit so good we all went YES! For 1 to 2 years we played like crazy. Just hanging and talking with these guys was hilarious. And when we was awesome. By the end of it I was pretty tired and and I sort of quit playing alot on the weekends. Instead I started playing in Geoff's band THE ELEVENTH HOUR on the weekends. I had one more band before The DoubleShots and that was The Wombat Shake. We played on Thursday nights at the Brass Elephant. Enter bass player Robin Houde and Drummer Dave Patt and Tim Tutweiler on guitar. Tim left that band after a year or so, and Geoff started playing with me on Thursdays and I played in his band on the weekends.

As Geoff and I started to play together again alot we decided to resurrect an idea we had years before and we booked our first paying DoubleShot gig at a restaurant in Arcadia called Matt Denny's. We had a great time playing in an outdoor patio and besides our pay we made $80.00 in tips. We decided we should do this more and we did.

In October of 2000 The DoubleShots got their break when we auditioned for a restaurant in West Covina called The Dockside Grill. They loved us and bought a P.A. system and installed it in the bar for us. We started Friday and Saturday nights in January 2001 and the rest is history.
Until we moved to northern CA. in June of 2005 we played at the Dockside two, three and sometimes four times a week for all those years. In 2003 we started playing at a cool place in Upland called The Buffalo Inn during the week on summer nights and eventually on Sunday afternoons along with our Dockside gigs. We have made a lot of wonderful friends at both places and have had many, many wonderful nights of music,laughter and partying. We started coining a phrase for all of our regulars. We call them The DoubleShot Nation! And all of our new friends and fans up north are also members too. Now we live in Cool,CA. We play guitar,where else could we live?
Anyway, that is how I remember it . Now you have my overview of of us and how we became The DoubleShots!


1990 was a year of transition. After an exciting ride, my time with Mercy & the Merkettes had concluded and on one of my first Thursday’s off, I was going to see my friend Gerry play
in a band called The Time Being.

Gerry Easley was the Supervising Technician at a public access cable station in South Pasadena. It was through my involvment with this station that we first met in ’81 or ’82. Gerry was also a bass player with whom I would form a short-lived but entertaining combo (along with drummer Barbara Goodman) called Big Fuzzy Dice. He was a frequent Thursday Night visitor to the Old Town Pub until he wound up with a gig of his own. He had started playing with two guitarists and a drummer at a South Pasadena coffee shop called Buster’s. We share a similar sense of humor, so I had to smile when he told me the band's name.

As far as the owner’s of Buster’s were concerned, The Time Being was an “Acoustic Folk Act”. Gerry had a different story. Tales of electric guitars, balls-out jams and high-energy pervaded. With the exception of a few early years in Marin County, I had lived in or around South Pasadena most of my life. I even knew about one of the guys in this “Time Being Band” Gerry was talking about. Some blond guy named Tim who I’d seen many times jogging down the street or standing in line at Trader Joe’s. Obviously a musician. Most probably a Rock n’ Roller. But South Pasadena was Safe, Traditional, Family-Oriented ... Not Electric, Balls-Out, High-Energy. Well, soon enough I’d see for myself. After all, Gerry was a great friend who had come out to support me on countless thursdays. Not only was I eager to return the favor, I was curious to see what passed for “Night Life” in a sleepy little town like
South Pasadena.

In 1990, Buster’s could confortably seat about 20 people. One acoustic guitar could have easily filled the room with sound to spare. I’m pretty sure there was an acoustic guitar somewhere between the Drums and Amps, but I don’t remember hearing it. What I remember is strong, boisterous renditions of blues, rock and occasional folk songs. The sound was great, and happily on the loud side. As the evening progressed, the songs got still a little harder and a little louder. I couldn’t believe these guys were getting away with this! At some point, Tim asked me to step up play a few songs. I don’t think I ever sat back down. When we started doing Black Sabbbath’s’ “Paranoid”, I thought, “This must certainly be the end. Surely, the police are being summoned at this very moment”. Of course the police hadn’t come and nobody put a stop to it - not then. Later, after I’d been playing with the the band for a few months, the city took issue with kids dancing on the sidewalks - thereafter the Time Being
had to play Buster’s strictly acoustic.

The Time Being landed many gigs over the next 3 or 4 years, then things started to shift. Tim started working on an original recording project and eventually lessoned his involvement with the band. As a four-piece, the Time Being continued into 1997 with guitarist Steve Clendenin and myself sharing the vocal duties. Then, more changes.

Steve had been in the process of selling his house in Monrovia and re-locating in the Bay Area. By the time this came to pass in 1998, Tim
was having success with his own band (we had always kept in touch, and when the occassion permitted, were more then happy to sit in on each other’s gigs), and after 8 years of always being one of the guys in front I was ready for a break.

For a little over a year, I took the lead guitar position with the Jamie Rio Band. The work on my end was not dissimilar to my days with Mercy; I played, sang back-up and was responsible for vocally fronting a hand-full of songs per night. I also kept my hand in a variety of other projects, one of my favorites being the “on-call” sub- guitarist for the country-rock band Pecos.

In all this time, I had never had a regular gig
with a band of my own – that became 1999’s
new year’s resolution. A combination
tip-of-the-hat to the Time Being and an arcane reference taken from old black & white war pictures, I named the band the 11th Hour.

From February ’99 to January ‘01, The 11th Hour played up to five nights every week. It was a power trio – a bass player, a drummer and myself on guitar and lead vocals. As it turned, out the name “11th Hour” proved quite prophetic: there were constant changes in band personnel - often at the last possible moment before the start of a given show. The first rhythm section was Danny Scialla (bass) and Mike Leasure (drums). The second rhythm section which proved the most lasting was James Hunting (bass) and Brent Fitz (drums). These were all well-established musicians who were in very great demand. As they would take time off to play any number of more financially rewarding shows (the 11th Hour was, for the most part, a bar band), I played with dozens of substitutes in their absence.

By 2000, I was able to pursuade some of the bar owners to put up more money for a 4th man. Tim was always my first choice, and for a while we did so many shows in each other’s band, we forgot what to call ourselves. Tim and I both had great experiences doing straight-on Rock & Roll together and seperately for many years; we had even started doing a few shows as the DoubleShots, an idea for an act
born several years earlier.

When the DoubleShots packed up the acoustic guitars after a laid-back, almost informal
audition at the Dockside in late 2000,
we knew it was the right act
for the right place
at the right time.